1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
1 tbsp olive oil
12 oz fat free ricotta
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 medium egg
2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
3 cups homemade tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 450°1. Slice eggplant into 1/4" thick slices. Lightly salt and lay on paper towels to release moisture for 1/2 hour.
2. Brush eggplant with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turn until both sides are golden brown.
3. Combine in a medium bowl ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
4. Use a 9x12 baking dish, put a light coat of sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer ofMa eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish.
5. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting
Chef Tip:Homemade Sauce works the best. Try this recipe.
Finished Eggplant Parm